If you are new to CSA program, it’s best to read through this “About CSA” information first, then read specifics of each respective page.
WHAT IS COMMUNITY SUPPORTED AGRICULTURE?
CSA members participate in their own food supply by committing to share in the harvest of a local farm. Members purchase shares at the beginning of the season, and each week (every two weeks in fall and winter) receive seasonal vegetables: a subscription to the farm’s harvest. Elmwood Stock Farm’s CSA members receive gourmet-quality vegetables that have been freshly harvested to ensure high flavor and nutritional benefit.
A CSA creates a unique relationship between the consumer and the producer—nowadays, not only do many people not know what country or what state their food comes from, they certainly don’t know the farmer who picked the tomatoes they are eating. By joining a CSA, you express your support for locally grown food, for clean food and for the farmers that grow it. CSA may not replace patronizing a farmers market, but it does guarantee your access to the best of each week’s harvest. This is a way to be a part of something positive for you and your community. We encourage you to visit us at our on-farm store on Tuesday afternoon, or at one of Elmwood’s year-round farmers markets to talk to us in person and try our products.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Elmwood Stock Farm offers a number of CSA farm-share options year-round. We harvest our produce at the height of ripeness and distribute several days each week at convenient pickup locations in Central Kentucky, Louisville and the Cincinnati area. You choose the day and pickup location that best suits your schedule.
The variety and bounty of the vegetables you receive depend on the season: At the beginning of the summer season, quantities tend to be smaller, with a focus on salad, greens, strawberries and spring veggies. Toward the middle of the season, quantities can be bountiful as tomatoes, beans and summer squash come in. By fall, the range of vegetables changes yet again, trending back toward cool-weather crops, such as broccoli, fall squash and root vegetables. For many members, it is a completely new experience to eat seasonally, and following the growing season so closely can become somewhat of an adventure. You also receive newsletters in each CSA share with food-preparation tips, recipes, crop news and other items of interest.
Because of the inherent risks of farming, we cannot guarantee what the season will bring and what vegetables will be harvested. In the past decade, we have experienced hail, drought and flooding. However, having grown vegetables at Elmwood since the early 1990s and being experienced in food production, we have always succeeded in growing an excellent variety of vegetables. You share the risk with us, but we will do everything we can to raise successful crops.
When you join our CSA, you are signing a contract to be a partner of the farm for that season. We invest time and have expenses many months ahead to provide for CSA members several months later. If you are unsure of whether a CSA is right for you, consider splitting a share with a friend, family member or coworker. Our CSA offers a lot of food and we try to help you through the recipes and advice provided in our newsletter. Because of the investment on your behalf, CSA is not a subscription you can cancel, however, our CSA agreement allows for you to transfer your share to another person in the event that you really cannot continue.
WHEN IS CSA OFFERED?
Summer CSA (May-September)
Fall CSA (October-December)
Winter CSA (January-March)
WHERE ARE ELMWOOD PICKUP LOCATIONS?
When it comes to receiving shares, CSA members have three options: picking up their share on-farm, having their share delivered to one of our designated pickup locations, or having their share delivered to their home (extra fee applies). We are pleased to offer a variety of pickup locations in Georgetown, Lexington, Versailles , Frankfort, Midway, Louisville, and Cincinnati. Pickup locations can vary depending on the season, so please reference the current list found on our Vegetable CSA page.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF THE ELMWOOD CSA?
- You do have a choice (Now more than ever!)- Customize your share before it leaves the farm! You can check online to see what we have planned for your share before we harvest and pack it. Swap out items, remove the items that might not be a favorite, or add extra of other items, it is up to you. Or, at on-farm pickup choose your own share items from the bins of produce harvested for CSA that day.
- It’s flexible with your schedule- Our online ordering system allows members to cancel their CSA share in advance. This makes going on vacation a breeze! We allow you to roll over up to $60 worth of veggies from delivery to delivery. This also allows you to get less one week and more the next, as your needs change, for no extra cost. However, if you forget to roll over your delivery and cannot pickup your share, we encourage you to send a friend to pick up your share for you, as it is a good way to introduce the concept to friends or neighbors. If you do forget to collect your share, it will be donated elsewhere.
- It’s convenient- After we harvest, rinse, cool and pack the vegetables, we offer distribution to more than a dozen locations throughout Central Kentucky and Cincinnati, as well as delivery to your door. Elmwood Stock Farm offers more than 20 CSA pickup locations in Lexington, Georgetown, Frankfort, Louisville, Versailles, and Cincinnati. If CSA-customer demand is there, we welcome additional sites. You need at least 10 people to commit to pick up their CSA shares at your location to open a new site. Please contact us before the start of the season to discuss this option.
- You get to experience seasonal eating with high nutrition- Through CSA, members learn about eating seasonally with, as well as enjoying, locally available foods. That means having the freshest food possible, but it also means that once the spring peas or sweet corn are gone, they won’t be back again until next year! Our farm’s growing plan contains more than 70 different crops. While this includes a few non-edible items, the vast majority is food, ensuring many new CSA members will have a chance to try something new.
- You have access to organic produce- By meeting the standards of organic certification, you can be assured that your farm food is healthy, safe, nutritious and wholesome—and that it is raised locally on a sixth-generation Kentucky farm near to your home. You do not have to choose between eating “local” and eating “organic,” as you will be getting both! Every item we grow is USDA Certified Organic, which verifies we use no toxic, synthetic chemicals and everything is Non-GMO! All items in your share come only from Elmwood Stock Farm.
- You have first option on your share of eggs or meats- CSA members will have the first option on obtaining our organic free-range eggs and meats with our egg and meat CSA. Like our vegetables, we produce all eggs and meat, and you will know the source. Please review the product page of our website for complete information about our wholesome, pasture-based beef, chicken, pork, turkey, and lamb. Secure your weekly egg or meat share now along with your vegetable share. You may also choose to add additional meats, eggs, veggies, or pantry goods to your share each with with our new online ordering system.
- Weekly descriptive newsletter- We write a weekly newsletter with food preparation tips, recipes, crop news, and other items of interest. Members tell us it is an important component of their farm share.
- You can enjoy special events at the farm- Elmwood Stock Farm is a diversified, working family farm and is not open to the public on a regular basis. Each season, CSA members are invited to attend one of our educational farm tours. You can bring the whole family and learn more about our vegetable gardens and organic practices and see the animals in the fields. You might get to pet one of our egg-laying hens, too! View our tour schedule and contact the farm to pre-register so we can be sure to have a ticket reserved for you.
- You have the satisfaction of supporting a local, family farm- Elmwood Stock Farm is a sixth-generation family farm on the edge of suburbia in Scott County, Ky. There aren’t many farms like this left in our area. Please read more about the farm and our organic practices so you can understand what this way of life means to us as farmers and community members.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
Fall CSA 2019 pricing is below. Visit the Vegetable CSA page for details on share sizes for the current season.
Mini Vegetable Share $240
Regular Vegetable Share $360
Robust Vegetable Share $480
Beef Only Meat Share $228
Chicken Only Meat Share $228
Mixed Meat Share / Choose Your Own $228
Egg Share $46
Pantry CSA Share $144
Home Delivery $42
Some people get a rebate from their employer for belonging to a CSA. Ask your human-resources department to contact us for information about employers that offer organic-vegetable CSA rebates as part of their health and wellness program. We are happy to help set up a voucher program or something as simple as an employer-sponsored discount on CSA shares.
WHAT’S THE DOWNSIDE TO A CSA?
One of the reasons that people seek out a CSA farm-share membership is the same reason that some other people do not renew after their first year: seasonal eating. The variety of vegetables will change often throughout the season, and many vegetables are new to people. However, as a transition into a healthier lifestyle, some customers choose to partner with a neighbor or friend their first time purchasing a share.
Our experience is that a CSA is not a good match if:
- You do not cook at home very much.
- You or your family does not like trying new items and new recipes.
- You are out of town often or away for many weeks at a time.
If you must miss a pickup, we encourage you to send a neighbor or friend in your place. This is an opportunity to introduce them to the CSA program and share your bounty. If your share is not picked up, it will be donated elsewhere.
Additionally, with the benefit of our online CSA customization, you may choose to cancel a specific week’s delivery. Your CSA will be automatically cancelled for that week and the value will be automatically added to your Swap Value.