Getting any opportunity to celebrate all things CSA is exciting for us here at Elmwood Stock Farm, and we’re excited to be participating in this year’s CSA week! And this year feels particularly special as we honor our 20th year of offering CSA to our customers and community.
From forty-five members the first year to the many hundreds today, our shareholders’ capitalization has afforded us the opportunity to invest in infrastructure and in our farm crew, while establishing a regenerative organic farming system that provides them with the best farm fresh food in the world. In nature it’s called a symbiotic relationship, in practice we call it Community Supported Agriculture.
By purchasing a share upfront, you’re helping us better plan financially for the coming harvest. In return, our shareholders get an all-access pass to enjoy seasonal, organic, and locally grown and raised vegetables, berries, meat, eggs and flowers. We like to think of it as a subscription to our farm’s harvest and we love getting to provide our CSA members with nourishing and wholesome food right from the farm.
IS CSA RIGHT FOR ME?
If you’ve never been a part of CSA before it can feel a little confusing knowing if it’s right for you or exactly how it works.
- Cook at home often
- Like trying new foods
- Are in town for most of the season (you can pause your share for a short vacation or work trip)
- Are interested in supporting small-scale, local farmers and a vibrant local-food economy
- Want to ensure your access to healthful, wholesome food throughout the season
…then CSA may be a good match for you!
We are proud to offer Summer, Fall and occasional Winter shares, thanks to our season-extending growing techniques. At the beginning of the Summer CSA season, quantities tend to be smaller, with a focus on salad, cooking greens, strawberries, and spring veggies. Toward the middle of the season, quantities are more bountiful as tomatoes, beans and summer squash come in. By fall, the range of vegetables changes yet again, trending back toward cool-weather crops, such as broccoli, fall squash and root vegetables. Meat and egg access is somewhat seasonal, as well, though some inventory is always available to you as a CSA shareholder. Flower shares are also available as an add-on for our Summer CSA.
You can learn more and sign up for our Summer 2023 CSA here!
SIGNING UP FOR CSA
Currently, you can sign up for our Summer 2023 CSA which runs from May through October. When signing up, you’ll have just a few steps to complete with several options to choose from:
- First, you’ll choose the size of your vegetable share. Mini, regular, and robust sizes are available and all last for 20 weeks.
- You will then have the option to add on an egg share at either ½ or 1 dozen eggs per week.
- You can then add on your optional meat share. A surprise meat share or choose-your-own meat share is available at regular and family sizes.
- Add on your optional flower share at a regular or deluxe size.
- Choose your pickup or delivery option. Pickup is free, and home delivery cost varies by location.
- You’ll complete signup and make a payment to secure your share, then you’ll be set! You’ll start receiving weekly emails and other important communication from us as the farm share gets closer.
The perks of joining our CSA are many. As a shareholder you get first dibs on all of our offerings before the general public, can customize your share each week, can pick up your share from more than a dozen locations or have it delivered, and you’ll be added to a special newsletter where you’ll get sent food storage tips, recipes, crop news and other items of interest to your inbox each week.