CSA stands for community supported agriculture. As a CSA member, you participate in your own food supply by committing to share in the harvest of our farm. Your purchase of a share at the beginning of the season ensures that each week, you’ll receive first pick of Elmwood Stock Farm’s seasonal vegetables, meats and eggs. It’s like a subscription to our farm’s harvest.
Your CSA Farm Share includes gourmet-quality vegetables that have been freshly harvested to ensure the highest flavor and nutritional benefit, as well as meat and eggs that are humanely pasture-raised with care. Our products are always available to CSA members before being offered to the general public, regardless of what’s happening at the grocery store or elsewhere in our fragile food system.
How Does CSA Work?
Elmwood Stock Farm offers several CSA Farm Share options for Summer and Fall and Winter/Spring seasons. Shares are harvested and distributed throughout the week to convenient pickup locations and via home delivery in Central and Northern Kentucky, Louisville and Cincinnati.
Choose what you want to receive each week by logging in to your online account and making your selections. Here, you can also purchase additional vegetables, meats or eggs; skip a week; or carry over some of the value of your share for a future week.
The variety and bounty of the vegetables you receive each week depend on the season: At the beginning of the Summer CSA season, quantities tend to be smaller, with a focus on salad, cooking greens, strawberries and spring veggies. Toward the middle of the season, quantities are more bountiful as tomatoes, beans and summer squash come in. By fall, the range of vegetables changes yet again, trending back toward cool-weather crops, such as broccoli, fall squash and root vegetables. Your meat and egg and flower bouquet access is somewhat seasonal, as well, though some inventory is always available to you as a CSA shareholder.
For many CSA Farm Share members, eating seasonally is a new experience. We provide weekly newsletters with food-preparation tips, recipes, farm news and other items of interest so you can enjoy the changing of the seasons as much as we do.
As part of our CSA program, we also match monetary contributions from members to donate shares to those experiencing food insecurity in our community.
How Do I Receive My Share?
3 options for receiving your CSA share:
- Pick up your share on the farm outside Georgetown.
- Have your share delivered to a designated pickup location in Lexington, Georgetown, Versailles, Frankfort, Louisville, Newport, or Cincinnati.
- Have your share delivered to your home in Lexington, Georgetown, Stamping Ground, Nicolasville, Midway, Versailles, Frankfort, Louisville, Northern Kentucky or Cincinnati for an additional fee.
What is expected of Shareholders?
- Our members understand that the farmers will do their best to provide all they have promised, but that CSA members share in the risks and rewards of the growing season.
- Members agree to pick up their share at their scheduled distribution day and time and understand that if they do not, it will be donated elsewhere.
- Members understand that if they purchase additional items during the season above the amount of their CSA shares, they will make payment for those items in a timely way.
- Members understand that the Elmwood Stock Farm CSA is a non-refundable season-long contract, and if the need arises, they can transfer their share to someone else.